Sunday, August 15, 2010

The end is near

I've been meaning to post for a long time, and now it's my last week in Germany! I'm excited to start junior year at Emory, but I'll really miss this place and the people here. The past few weeks I've just been spending time exploring in and around Goettingen. Here's a picture of a shooting club parade that lasted the whole day last weekend.We hiked up to the top of the Bismarkturm and you can see all of Goettingen behind us in the picture! This is Courtney, another fellow RISE student who's been doing research at the university physics department.We also went on a crazy adventure to visit all the graves of famous physicists. We saw Planck, Max Born, Max von Laue and the genius mathematician Gauss to name a few. The city cemetery has a corner just for Nobel laureates! Here's Max Planck... and you can't really see it on the picture, but he has the Planck constant inscribed on it at the bottom. I also went to the Goettingen Botonical Gardens, and it's quite nice actually. This is Ada, another intern at the University.
And not to forget, giant water lilies! Well, you can't see the flowers here, but these leaves can hold up to weights of 150 kilos!
So, my time in Germany is nearly up... and I'm going to miss so many things about this place that it's not wise to start listing them. However, I AM EXCITED TO BE BACK AT EMORY AGAIN! :)

p.s. I was at a restaurant on Friday night, and I saw Keanu Reeves! He walked past our table (we were sitting outside) with a flock of photographers clicking away like crazy.

3 comments:

  1. Nabs wins the contest for the first celebrity sighting! :)

    Sorry you only have a week left but hey, we do want you and everyone to come home eventually!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Total bonus points to Nabiha and Goettingen for the cemetery corner reserved for Nobel Laureates! Would you want your constant on your headstone?
    Looking forward to seeing you back in town.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just got back from my goodbye party with the department (with cake, champagne...etc).. and yes, I'm sad to be leaving, but really excited to be back at Emory!

    Goettingen has been home to 45 Nobel Laureates...CRAZY!
    Leah, it would be ridiculously amazing to have my very own constant. We'll just have to wait and see what happens in 97 years or so. See you soon! :)

    ReplyDelete