Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Life in Edinburgh

Hello everybody!

I'm spending this summer exploring the beautiful city of Edinburgh and doing research in Paul Clegg's lab at the University of Edinburgh. So far everything has been great. The city is surrounded by hills and full of historic buildings. My roommates are all international students at the university and they have shown me around the area. I've never cared about soccer before but the excitement here about the World Cup is contagious and I've been watching all the games with them. I was nervous about traveling alone but meeting new people from all over the world has been a lot of fun.

The weather couldn't be more different from last summer when I did SURE at Emory. Edinburgh is a lot colder than Atlanta--it rarely has gotten to 70°F so far. There are also very few sunny days. Most of the time it's either cloudy or raining. However, the daylight hours make up for the weather. Last night I got home at 11PM and the sun still hadn't finished setting. It's a bit disorienting to wake up at 4AM and see that the sun is already starting to rise but I've learned to embrace how long days are here.

I've already spent some time exploring Edinburgh's Old Town. It's small but every other building has a museum inside and there are lots of alleys to explore. 

My favorite museum so far
A typical street in Edinburgh's Old Town
Edinburgh Castle. I'm climbing up Castle Rock to see it this weekend!

Moyo


1 comment:

  1. You should send the cooler temperatures back to Atlanta! The heat/humidity is sweltering here, as usual. I'm really happy to see you're getting immersed in the culture there. Have you tried haggis yet?

    ReplyDelete