Sunday, June 14, 2015

Segovia, Spain & Porto, Portugal

It has been quite the busy and exciting week! Last weekend I took a day trip to Segovia, Spain. It's a city North of Madrid known for its Roman aqueducts and its Alcázar (castle that Disney took inspiration from when creating Cinderella's castle). When I was touring the castle I ran into the Emory Spanish study abroad group who just so happened to be taking a day trip there as well. So that was neat to see some familiar faces.


  
This week in lab has been extremely busy as well. I spent a lot of long days performing lesions on practice mice using a dye instead of the toxin that I will be using this upcoming week for my experiment. I also spent time practicing my brain and spinal cord removal skills from the mice. I'm still adjusting to having to sacrifice so many living mice...but such is science...In terms of my Spanish skills they are continuing to improve everyday and I'm starting to be able to understand the natives without having to say "despacio por favor" (slower please).

This weekend I took a trip to Porto, Portugal. It's a beautiful and old city (one of the oldest in Europe) known for its ancient buildings,olive oil, wine and ceramic tiles. With so many medieval buildings and churches still intact it was easy to picture the kings and knights that once roamed these same streets. There is also a famous bridge that was built by the partner of the man that built the Eiffel Tower. Once you walk over the bridge you can see the whole city of Porto. The city is built on a giant hill along river so walking throughout takes some effort. However it's worth the leg pain. Each street brings you to a beautiful historic site. Since it's right on the Atlantic the seafood was amazing and so cheap! Overall a great city! Next weekend I'm taking Friday off from work and heading to Rome! 





No comments:

Post a Comment