Wednesday, June 10, 2015

So much wind

The weather here is weird. Sometimes it is cold and sometimes it is relatively warm, but one thing that is constant is the overpowering wind. Sometimes when it really gets going, I feel like I am walking in place. All of the girls wear tights under their dresses and shorts, and I've definitely started to understand why! Other than that, it has finally started to warm up, which for Denmark means a whopping 65 degrees.

Work is going great now. Things have really started to pick up. The memory game study that I presented on during the IRES class during the semester has gotten going and I have started running participants this week. We're tracking adults and children's eye movements while they play the game as a way to look at their thought processes during it and as a window into memory development. I am running all of the adult participants this week and next week because the kids don't speak English, so that would be a bit of an issue :) Yesterday we had a lot of trouble with the eye-tracker not working correctly. It was a little awkward with the participant just staring at you like "Fix this, I came all the way here". But technical errors like this happen all time with the system, and it was working better this morning! Then when I am done with this I spend the rest of the time on data, making the poster for presenting, and helping out with other projects around the lab.

Another thing I have noticed in this city is the amount of festivals in the downtown area. Last week there was a festival celebrating French culture with lots of food and decorations and music in the streets. There was also a huge Pride festival last weekend and a music festival coming up this weekend. I think there is also some kind of art festival sometime soon too. I really like the community feel this town has. It is just big enough to be fast-paced and exciting, but small enough that you feel like you can get to know the culture and the people.

1 comment: