Friday, June 4, 2010

Among the Mancunians

Flying is an uncomfortable and humiliating experience, yet still surreal and a symbol of human ingenuity... What I'm trying to say is that the novelty and ease of airplanes have lost weight compared to the hassles and I'd like to travel by ship on my next transatlantic journey. Who's with me?! A revolution against these winged, metallic goliaths!

Frustrations aside, my first impression of Manchester has been through jetlagged and weary eyes. After an all too short nap at my sweet apartment-style pad (3 BRs and a kitchen/common area), I met up with the Baines' lab. Richard showed me around, I got registered through HR, and we all had coffee/tea at 3. This is a twice-daily ritual performed also at 10. During tea time, I was reccommended many locales and discovered the diversity of our lab (Germany, Korea, China, and others). We're all headed for pizza and beer in a few minutes, not a whole lot different from home.

After the weekend, I'm starting oocyte extraction from an unfertilized African claw frog (Xenopus), then defolliculation (separating individual oocytes from the bunch and dissolving their protective layers), and injection of RNA (so the molecular machinery converts the genetic info into protein). These oocytes will then express a certain sodium channel on their membranes from which I can do electrophysiological recordings. Details to follow in later posts.

On a final cultural note, the accent is infectious. So regal and articulate. It's music to my ears, man. I'm afraid of offending them if I subconsciously pick it up. It feels only natural to imitate the language of the surrounding people. My southern and midwestern perverted version of english seems strained in comparison. If I even try to pretend , I will surely be found out. Pictures and more next time.

3 comments:

  1. glad to hear you made it safely, albeit uncomfortably?! Are you surfing the couch in the sweet apartment-style pad or did you finally break down and get a real place?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read "Manchurian" and thought "man, I really don't remember anyone going thataway..."

    Hey, imitation is the best flattery, and if you can perfect the accent, you can spend the rest of your life developing an alter ego. "The name is Bond. Ogy Bond." [please don't tell me that James Bond doesn't hail to Manchester, I can't tell accents...]

    Glad you made it and ditto Leah's curiosity re: accommodations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I signed up for these overpriced dorms. I've been informed anywhere besides university housing is a "shithole". But moving somewhere more affordable on the 24th.

    ReplyDelete