Sunday, June 6, 2010

The Fatherland... Revisted!

Yes, random fact for the day, Germany is one of very few countries in the world that is referred to as the fatherland. But it feels wonderful to be back! As I sat on on the ICE train racing ahead at 220km/h from Frankfurt to Göttingen, I was flooded with memories of the times when I traveled to every possible destination within Germany on these trains while living here for 7 years. Absolutely precious.
Anyway, I am not too terribly jet-lagged and I hope I can make my superb overcoming- jet-lag-theory work this time around as well! :) I got to the MPI (Max Planck Institute... I can bet my life on the fact that you'll see this acronym popping up in my future posts way too many times) and picked up the keys to my place. And it turned out to be pretty cute, even though it's an older building. I have my own room and bathroom. We have a kitchen and a tv room that we share between 6 people. I met two of my suit mates one's from Kansas and the other is from France and they seem super nice. And yes, they are both physicists doing their PhD's. I think I'm living with guys mainly... I think there's an Australian girl living across from me, but I have yet to meet her. Ah yes, my room for your viewing pleasure:Oh, and the best part about all this. It's literally 5 steps away from where I'll be working! :P
I've ventured out of here only to satisfy my nutritional requirements (chinese food was good) and the town looks cute, and historical, just they way I was hoping for it to be. Sorry if this wasn't too much of an exciting post... but i was DYING to post something! haha. Watching Jie, Austin, Rachel, Nick and recently, Alex and Ogy blogging away this whole time has gotten me super-pumped... so if I begin to bombard and harass you with too many posts.... blame it on them. :D
Oh, before I sign out for the day... I saw this graffiti on the way to get food and it's right behind my building:TOTALLY made Goettingen more baller than it already is. And ya, I couldn't really ask to see something better than this in my first few hours here. Love this guy. Can't wait for rest of the summer!

Peace out.


4 comments:

  1. i know! i'm going to look around for more soon. lol, oh and i forget to mention that i ran into one of Eric's (my PI at Emory) research collaborators at NC State outside my apt building... and we both freaked out when we saw each other! she's visiting my German PI's lab... bc they all know each other and are friends (Eric included) and work on similar stuff. CRAZY.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your room is adorable. And that graffiti is so neat! Looking forward to future reports!

    ReplyDelete