Wednesday, June 16, 2010

The Typical American...

I didn't put too much thought into packing.. instead i just threw and stuffed random things into my suitcase at the last minute that I thought I might need.. This ended up putting me in quite a difficult situation.. This is because once off the airplane I had to take a bus where there was not someone there to help you put your belongings underneath it..you had to lift your bags onto the bus where there were spots to store them (i had to get the bus driver to help).. this also proved to be difficult because i could not lift my bags to put them there.. as a result i left them leaning on the side of the racks.. while on the bus i had to hold them there so they wouldnt fall on the people who were sitting in front of me who im sure were taking about me.. after getting off the bus i had to drag my bags to the train station across the street to buy a ticket where the lady preceded to tell me that i should get the train in four minutes! I couldn't fit through the normal place where you put your tickets and walk through so i had to use the handicap entrance.. then i quickly looked for the sign marking where i was supposed to go and realized i had to go down two flights of stairs because there was no elevator! A lady passed by me, saw that i was struggling, and luckily offered to help...and luckily the train was a few minutes late.. then when the train came i realized the platform was not level with the train so i had to tug my rollies onto the train.. i also didnt realize that there was a button you press to open the train door so before this i ran to the door that someone has previously opened.. one of the ladys who work on the train said to me "you have to press a button you know".. then once in the train the lady yelled at me that there was a specific spot to put your bags.. there was no way i was getting there so i just ended up tucking my suitcases into the seat next to me and telling her there was no way.. finally i arrived at my destination tugged my luggage as it fell of the train and luckily my advisor and someone at my lab was right there to first watch this happen and second help bring them up another flight of stairs! After this we all go into the car and drove to St. Andrews... I went to meet the people in my lab, take a look around at all the facilities, and go for lunch.. they are all really nice wonderful people.. after lunch i learned how to stage tadpoles and i watched them clean the frog tanks and inject hormones into the frogs so they can mate... after all of this, i dropped the stuff to my room which is pretty nice (the only real minus is that there is just only one shower down stairs), went out with the two younger guys in my lab with their friends and my advisor for a drink, and then one of the younger guys in the lab gave me a tour of St. Andrews which was really nice.. its beautiful here! really cute town! Having been up for almost 24 hours i went to sleep after this.. the next day i went into the lab again and ended up meeting up with a few Emory people that are here which was really nice! so all and all im really liking it here so far.. i met some new friends, love the town, and really enjoy the lab i am working in. I will be posting some pictures later that I took today! :)

2 comments:

  1. Welcome to the blog, Danielle! Glad to hear you made it safe and sound -even if your arrival was a bit inelegant :-) Can't wait to see some pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, Danielle! So happy that you made it. Looking forward to pics and research updates.

    ReplyDelete