Saturday, July 24, 2010

Goodbye Aberdeen HELLO EUROPE

Well Ires, my time in Aberdeen has ended. It was really an unbelievable experience. After first arriving, I was so afraid of everything, even venturing out to simply find the University. Now, I feel like an incredibly new person. Not only have I learned loads of information about a subject I was always afraid of, but I gained an unimaginable amount of confidence in myself. No longer will I fear venturing into a new city, in a new country, with no friends! And the things I've learned! Just because I am a young undergrad doesn't mean I can't tackle scientific questions that puzzle even some of the most experienced scientists! Of all the things to be excited about when returning to Emory, I can honestly say that research is what I am looking forward to most, which is something I never imagined would happen even at the beginning of the summer. I met a ton of great scientists and learned so so so much! It was truly a life changing experience.

My family came to visit for my final week in Scotland. First we went to Edinburgh and toured the city. Although it's a nice city, it was very touristy and my family is really into the outdoors. Here are some pictures of my twin and I in the streets of Edinburgh:

And here is a picture of us with the fabled pierced lady!

After Edinburgh, my family and I traveled to Aberdeen so I could finish work. I had my final night out in Aberdeen and eventually we left to take on the Scottish Highlands. Here are a few pictured of some castles, the Isle of Skye and the Caringorms:











It was an amazing experience. Next, I'm going to London, Lisbon and then Paris. I'll be in touch! I hope everyone else is doing well!

4 comments:

  1. awww. this post was so cuteee!! I don't know how any of us going to top your pics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photos, Austin! You and your sis are so cute! I am excited to work with you again this year as a SIRE Research Partner - so I can keep track of all this amazing RESEARCH!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, too adorable. That pic of you with the mountains on the back--I want that on the cover of some Emory alumni magazine!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah! Cathy, that would be so great! PS You should all go to the West coast of Scotland it's so amazing.

    ReplyDelete