Thursday, April 21, 2011

Farewell America. Hello Finland

I will attempt to write this blog all in Finnish. Here we go.














Not really.

Well, what can I say about this AWESOME experience I will be having this summer? Besides the fact that it will be awesome and legendary? Nothing much. I will be taking my MCAT at 8AM on the 21st of May and leaving for Helsinki, Finland at 5PM on the same day. I'll be taking a quick stop in London then arriving in beautiful Helsinki at around noon the next day (their time). This summer I will be doing things I would never have gotten to do if it weren't for the IRES program, Cathy, and Emory. Not only the research side of things will be completely novel and AWESOME, I will have the opportunity to travel across Europe and experience European life on my own and live life.

The research is with Dr. Matias Palva, a cognitive neuroscientist at the Neuroscience Center in the University of Helsinki. The team works with human subjects and has been attempting to discover the underlining neural signaling and mechanisms for working, short-term memory systems using EEG and MEG. These techniques are both new and extremely interesting for my studies here at Emory and for my future as I plan on partaking an 8+ year journey into a combined MD/PhD program. More specifically, I will be integrating a brand new visual working memory paradigm that may include distractors in between encoding and recognition phases in which the human subjects will be required to remember the encoding image to investigate the effects of the distracting image. In addition, I will be responsible for creating this task while also helping with recordings and analysis of the data.

Looking forward to the 21st, eating reindeer and moose, sauna-ing, and of course working =D

Peace,

Will


No comments:

Post a Comment