Saturday, July 16, 2011

Hi guys, I haven't posted in a while. Work has gotten really busy so I've been taking whatever free time I have to just relax. Everything with my project and birds is going OK! Monitoring more than twenty nests daily (that's 7 days a week!) isn't easy but I'm really liking my work. Zebra finches breed and grow so quickly, and I'm enjoying the fast pace. It's amazing to see them grow. :)

Here's a variety of birds for ya:

14 days


10 days

7 days

9 days



As for exploring Vancouver, we spent some time recently in Stanley Park, the beach, eating out (finally... I was starting to feel like a hermit. I love going to restaurants).

Our living situation never ceases to be extremely awkward. Per my mother's advice, I'm never living in a house with landlords again. Quite frankly they are some of the least considerate people I've met (barely any heat when it was freezing here, loud parties until ~2-3 AM, some of our laundry was ruined b/c they left a freakin' crayon in the dryer). We only have about three weeks left to live here so I guess we're just bearing with it. It's not too bad, just very awkward. I'm still enjoying my time here... especially when I'm out of the house haha.

In good news, I've started up running again at my usual mileage after about a month of being in chronic pain since I've moved here. I really don't know what caused it (change of climate/terrain?) and I can't go to a doctor here since I'm an international (and I admit it, I know everything a doctor will tell me anyway, which is usually to just "quit"). Anyway, things are improving for me somewhat, although now I'm taking it day-by-day with the physical activity instead of following a plan 100%.

We still plan to do some things here before this trip is over: visit UBC, hike, and probably do some other stuff. I'll update soon!




4 comments:

  1. Awww, the little dinosaurs look much improved with some feathers on. Good to hear research is coming along as planned. It's pretty crazy how much they grow in 2 weeks. Relative to the size of the birds, making all those feathers so quickly just blows my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yup, you're totally right. In just 2-3 days their feathers just seem to explode and they become very cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anya, I'm sorry to hear about your chronic pain... have you ever tried orthotics or running barefoot? I'm glad you already "know everything a doctor will tell me anyway" :) I wonder how many people feel that way all the time.

    At a conference in London last week, I met a guy finishing his PhD in Social Networking Analysis at Simon Fraser. He also said the beauty of the place blows him away after being there for years... but he's moving soon because he missed mountain biking on hills.

    The birds really are beautiful! I would really enjoy holding them some time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Josh,

    Thanks for your comment! :)

    I went through gait re-training a while ago (I'm midfoot-forefoot right now) and feel comfortable, so I don't want to mess with my technique. I've tried barefoot running and understand the benefits, but I don't think it's for me. I'm doing better though; I think running by feel is a good method for me! :)

    SFU is definitely a beautiful area.

    ReplyDelete