Tuesday, August 7, 2012

IT'S THE FINAL COUNTDOWWNNN

Well,
it's my last day in Madagascar, in fact, we're down to the final hours and I'm pretty sad about the whole thing.  I've been traveling around the city today and I realize how much more rich (both culturally and monetarily) it is than I had thought it to be previously.

My time here has been completely invaluable and I don't think I would trade it for the world.

I have experienced more cultural exchange, more generosity, more carefreeness, more genuineness, more happiness than I have ever experienced in my life

I can only describe the people here as amazing.  The people who I have worked with have been an indelible impression on me that I will remember for the rest of my life certainly

Zaka - he's been the funniest, happiest, friendliest person to work with

Dina - he's never managed to not bring a crowd of people to hysterics, whether in English, Malagasy, or Engagasy

Justin - has always managed to keep things calm and relaxed and never failed to keep a smile on people's faces no matter how many days we had gone without showering

These guys have worked beyond hard to help us and the communities we've been working with

Chris, Rachel, Sarah - Despite how many times we almost killed each other, whether it was because I put a duck in your tent or because someone was singing a made up song at 5 in the morning, I still love you guys and would not let down and opportunity to do it again

Tom- Thank you for providing me with this awesome project to work on and be apart of

Cathy, Leah - Thank you guys for awarding me with the IRES Grant.  You've been beyond helpful with every piece of advice you had given me for this trip, no matter how many times I made fun of the fanny packs (or money belts), I didn't get pick-pocketed or robbed or mugged or hurt and so thank you guys for that.

Money People (funders) - Thank you so much for giving our school the money to make IRES happen


Be back soon and see you guys all at Emory

Best,
Ian

1 comment:

  1. Oh, you must explain the duck incident! I did expect to see a photo of you wearing a fanny pack but I think it's really OK that we didn't. See you soon, I can't wait to hear more.

    ReplyDelete