Monday, May 31, 2010

What a week! I AM SO TIRED!

Well I had a great week in the ole 'Deen! But I am INCREDIBLY tired! This week things really got started in lab! I talked to my mentors about the work I do at Emory with fungus and then I immediately started working with a marine fungus that I can hopefully isolate some natural products from. Problem is, it take two weeks to grow. So, in the meantime, it's just my sea cucumbers and me. After I crush up and pulverize the sea cucumber guts and cell walls as much as possible, I slide the remnants into a methanol/water bath for 24 hours. Once the sea cucumbers have been sufficiently dissolved in the methanol and water, I do another extraction and then take the methanol and water solution to be "roto-vacuumed"

It's great fun, but it takes FOREVER! However, once I get all of my extracts I will be able to start the cool stuff so stay tuned! Last week I was incredibly lost though. I wasn't asking enough questions and was kinda shy around the other really great chemists in lab. However, this really really helpful scientist named Joijii finally saw that I needed help and taught me so many new things. He outlined how I was going to pre-clean my samples and even showed me ways to decrease the time it takes for me to roto-vac the solvents from my products. I can tell he is going to be very helpful in the lab. My fungus should be finished growing by next Wednesday. Hopefully by that time I will be able to learn how to extract the natural products from the fungal liquid media. This is my lab bench where MAGIC HAPPENS:


COOL STUFF AM I RIGHT!

This weekend, I went to a music festival in one of my friend's hometown of Montrose. It is a very small town, and she seemed to know everyone at every pub we went to! I was so glad to see what Scotland is like from a local's perspective. Unfortunately I didn't get many pictures, but I assure you it was a great time! Everyone loved my accent and people were incredibly hospitable.

I also have found a great running path... THE BEACH!


It is SO COOL running on the North Sea. I love looking out and seeing all of the ghostly looking fishing boats. VERY COOL! Although, every time I have gone running, I have been rained on :(

Anyways, that's it for now! I have a big week of Chemistry lined up so I will let you know how it goes this weekend!

5 comments:

  1. Did you make your lab bench shot look all misty, to add mystique to the magic? Your work space looks very cool. Good luck with the chemistry and I hope your fungi are growing merrily!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you definitely get bonus points for being the first to post a picture of your magic-making lab bench! sounds like a great week! Chemistry is cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leah, I didn't know you were keeping score :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything is a competition, Nick! There is ALWAYS a score! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. HAHA COMPETITION! AMERICA! USA USA!

    The picture was actually taken by my iPhone. I was nervous people in the lab would see me having this glamourous photo-shoot in front of my bench so I was SO SNEAKY!

    ReplyDelete