Monday, August 1, 2011

Dublin, Sweet Dublin

Hey guys! So I'm posting some of the pics from my trip. If you want to see all of them, you can go to my facebook. I'm leaving out parts of Rome and London because I want to go to bed and I'm tired of waiting for the image uploader to load everything.

This week has been pretty awesome; I've just been haning out and enjoying Dublin. It really is a nice city:) I'm glad I came here. I was messing with the FRAP stuff this week, and I decided to increase my bleaching power, which means I have to start over collecting data. Honestly, though, it doesn't matter that much because I just found out that the mutants I have been using aren't the ones they want me to use....they gave me an RNAi line so that I would have something to do before the mutant line was finished....so all of the data I collected with the mutants really doesn't matter. So I went in on Sunday and finished all of the images for the controls. Today was a bank holiday, so there was no work, YAY! I was quite happy since it is also the first day of Ramadan. It wasn't too bad; I distracted myself with the news, HP, and Captain America. The new movie isn't too bad, but for some reason I keep seeing movies with my German friend that take place during WWII...I don't know if it's awkward for her...but it's kind of awkward for me, especially Captain America....there's a lot of American pride in that movie. Anyway, I heard more about the famine in Somalia, which makes me happy Ramadan is here because it allows me to feel as those around the world feel who do not have food and water, although their strife is much, much worse. I have food at my disposal, they don't...and I only have to do this for a month; their strife has been going on and will probably continue to go on for a while. Just keep those people in your prayers. I do have to say, though, that fasting in the U.S. is a lot kinder than fasting in Dublin since it's so far up north. Those two extra hours of fasting really do you in.

Hopefully I'll get my final cross for my short term habituation project finished this week. I do have my dysbindin mutant flies. Dysbindin is a Schizophrenia-related gene. I can work with those while I'm waiting for virgins to eclose...those darn virgins. You even stick them in the 25 degree incubator and they're still stubborn. WHY WON'T THE RIGHT GENOTYPE ECLOSE?!!! I'm telling you man, the flies know what's up. I just want to tell them, look...I'm not looking to sacrifice you...just your grandkids.

The Colosseum





Gelato!!!! Yummy. It's not even slightly overrated




First meal in Italy:)

Barcelona!





Sagarda Famalia, Gaudi architecture. Absolutely magnificent







Casa Mila, more Gaudi architecture




And again, more Gaudi. I'm in love with his style:)








Hall of Mirrors, Palais of Versailles


Beautiful chandelier in the Hall of Mirrors.


Hall of Mirrors entrance. It really is mesmerizing.



I have never seen so much gold in one place in all of my life. No wonder they got their heads chopped off: must have been a fortune to build this place






J'amie Tour d'Eiffel:)


Pictures really don't do it justice. It's absolutely gorgeous at night.



On the Bateaux River Cruise






Panoramic view from atop the Parthenon



The Parthenon!



Notre Dame


The Mona Lisa:)



The Louvre



Belgian Waffle in Bruxelles, Belgium...nothing better



At the Belgian Chocloate museum


Tribute to science in Belgium: the Atomium. It's shaped like an atom, with its parts. You can see me jumping for joy on the dirt path....thank you science for bringing me to Europe!!





Dam Square lights up at night...it's really magical



Dam Square


Bruxelles is beautiful at night

Grand Palace, Bruxelles

Haha..Amsterdam

Van Gogh and I go way back


Anne Frank House. If anyone ventures to Amsterdam, they have to go here. It's really touching.


Next week I will put up pictures of London. I really enjoyed my Western Europe trip. It was remarkable, but I do also enjoy my times un the parks here in Dublin, enjoying the days that it doesn't rain. haha.


Until next week, take care.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you! I was going to make a comment about how funny I found your "I just want your grandchildren!" line but then was blown away by the photos. I'm so happy science brought you to Europe, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Place
    vs
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dam_Square

    =D Lots of places in very few days.. everything becomes mixed, no?

    ReplyDelete
  4. PPS.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panth%C3%A9on,_Paris
    vs
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parthenon

    ReplyDelete