Friday, August 5, 2011

Wrapping Up

Alright, so Oxford is an incredible place to host people because it's easy to show off and there's lots to do! Philip May (left), an Emory alum studying at U of St Andrews on the Bobby Jones Award, came down to visit at the same time Andrew Harper (right) from Darlington was interviewing for a medical residency at Oxford's JR Hospital. Here we are at Moo-Moo's, a touristy favorite ice-cream/smoothie stand.


One of my favorite signs I've seen in England so far. For one, it's so true. The British drink tea at so many weird times of the day, it's astounding. But I thoroughly enjoy it all of those times as well: Earl Grey, Assam, Green, Wildberry, and Cream Tea each have a special place in my heart :) No wonder they weren't able to let go of India until after World War II... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_tea_culture

I was in London for the "One Year to Go" ceremony - only 366 days (Leap Year) until the Olympics! Here I am in front of the countdown sign in Trafalgar Square, with a patriotic hobo who was jumping in everybody's picture. They had tents to make Origami shapes out of paper with the flag of your country on it. There were a lot of Jamaicans there... There was also ping-pong: I beasted at that table, good fun :)


This is the Said Business School Cycle Team for the British Heart Foundation's fundraising ride from Oxford to Cambridge. A solid 88-miles, perfect weather, and cheerful company made it brilliant! From Right to Left: Tim Morris, Jonathan & Janina Pownall, Steve, and Me. I got a brief cycle tour of Cambridge from Tim (alumnus of Jesus College) when we got there: particularly impressed by King's College Chapel (constructed from 1446-1515 between Henry VI & Henry VIII) and Magdalene College, which also had the punting boats like Oxford. Wish I had time to see more!



After a fun time in the park on a Saturday afternoon with friends (feeding ducks), I decided to take a picture in front of the Rhodes House garden. They were having a reception inside for current and former students... how cool would it be to be a Rhodes Scholar? Congrats to all those from Emory who have won one!

On Tuesday, I had a great chat with my P.I. at work. It's time to begin data analysis in earnest and writing up results, as well as making plans for how to continue the research in my final semester at Emory. It's been such a rewarding and educational experience, and I can't imagine learning at this rapid a pace for the rest of my life - though I'm eager to do so whenever the opportunity presents itself.

Lastly, I spent the last two days camping with best buds in Rora, England - near Dartmoor National Park. It was an amazing Christian camp, with the friendliest people and most fascinating atmosphere of community I've experienced in a LONG time. Life was meant to be more like this. The views from the top of Haytor Rock were incredible, as well as Widecombe church and Trago Mills. I finally got to participate in a football tournament! 6-on-6, all guts, no glory. Loads of fun :)

2 comments: