Monday, June 13, 2011

Extra parts

So starting off my second week, I decided that I should look into getting a flat since everywhere I had looked months ago didn't work out, but it's the end of the semester here, so something might open up .... ended up finding an AMAZING place to live, that had just been fully renovated, and is cheaper than where I was! Ta da! Moving commenced!

Old place ...


New place!


I've also started working in the lab on the actual data collection ... and my project seems to be at least three times bigger than what was expected! I'm looking at every single synovial joint in the body, and recording and describing if there are any lesions or not, and so I also have to side every bone and fragment for recording. This was all expected and great, except for the fact that I have to side phalanges too, which is something I've never had to do before, and there is VERY little literature out there on how to do it! But I'm getting better and faster, so all should be well :D though I just love it when there are extra parts in a single burial .... I mean, in this sort of data collection, and individual with three feet is COMPLETELY normal ... right o.<'

Wasn't feeling too well for a couple days, must have caught some sort of bug here, but much better now and back on my feet :) Having a warm place that's actually insulated and an electric blanket sure have helped, it's getting cold! X.x'

4 comments:

  1. Fantastic! Glad you found a new home, and an upgrade at that.

    We really will start calling you Bones pretty soon...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Be careful with that bug... I hope you're feeling better by now :) must be fun looking for lesions - how hard are they to identify?!? I studied synovial joints for a while when I was doing research on barefoot running, and I'm curious what it's like in the fossils you're studying - looking forward to your results!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, the remains aren't really fossils, they are only a few hundred years old at max - some of the lesions are really obvious, and others could just be post-mortem damage based on the edges, or a lesion with post-mortem damage ... or just variation and a large foramen ... it's been tricky - I got a lot better at identifying them though! and the ones that are really hard to tell we just had radiographs done of so I can look at those and hopefully be able to tell if they are lesions or not for sure - though now I can side phalanges like no other which is something most people can't do, so yeyyy I definitely learned some new skills ^^

    ReplyDelete