Sunday, June 19, 2011

I have some good news since my last post: I don't have to move out of the place I'm staying in! It's a bit of a long story what happened... I will probably explain once I return. I'm glad things are settled now.

On the work front, eight of our zebra finch pairs have eggs now. We replaced the pairs without eggs with new birds, and have a couple of those with eggs as well now. Things are starting to look up, and hopefully we will have a good sample size in the end. I learned a couple of new things this week: preparing blood for hemoglobin assays (we will do the assays soon), and injecting the birds. I was a little bit nervous at first but I was careful and they looked alright afterward. I've also been sorting through some older data that we will use for this project as well. It's been a pretty busy week.

The Canucks lost the Stanley Cup in the middle of the week... I did not get caught in the riots, thankfully. :) It was pretty shameful but I wasn't suprised about what happened. I was downtown yesterday though, and the streets looked clean. Many people volunteered to clean up. There were wooden boards put up as well (for the broken windows) and many people were stopping by to sign them with things like "respect our city". It was nice to see how much people here care about where they live.

In other good news, I got a new camera. I'm still tinkering with it a little. This weekend I went to Granville Island. It's an island in the middle of the city, where there are many shops, bakeries, etc. Here are some photos:










3 comments:

  1. Yay! Camera, eggs, housing, no getting swept away in riots. Things are definitely looking up :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, happy to hear things are going better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, thanks for more awesome photos! Glad to hear the eggs are a-comin'. Remind me where you do the hemoglobin sticks on the birds... ?

    ReplyDelete