Friday, June 10, 2011

No pictures this week, since my camera is still messed up. It works but the pictures are bad quality, so I haven't been bringing it. I'm taking it to a shop this weekend, so we'll see where that goes.

I don't like to talk about negative things in general but this week has been very stressful for several reasons.

In the lab, only 5 of our 24 pairs of zebra finches laid eggs, when I expected more than half of the pairs to lay. Of those that did not lay, 9 still made nests, but I can't find eggs in them. My mentor said he'd think about it this weekend. He is very organized and knowledgeable, so we can probably find a solution. I'm thankful for his guidance and I'll stay positive. I'm confident that I can still complete a project and obtain data by the end of summer.

The bulk of the stress is due to something that should be mentioned given the premise of this program (doing research in another country). I moved closer to SFU in the middle of this week. Now, though, due to some misunderstanding (I won't go into details), I may have to move out again. Although I have ways of finding other housing, I want to be settled. Currently I feel uncertain and unwelcome. This is difficult because I already feel out of place in unfamiliar territory.

Despite this unpleasant situation, I'd like to say that everyone associated with SFU has been very kind and welcoming to me. I'm enjoying my work and being a part of the SFU community. I know that in the end everything will work out, I just have to be patient. I suppose that in the big scheme, this is only a bump in the road, and I shouldn't let a bad situation get in my way of exploring this beautiful city and enjoying myself.

If I still feel any doubt, I can always call my mommy. That never fails.

I'm off to watch the Stanley Cup Finals at SFU this evening. I think hockey will get my mind off of the situation.

3 comments:

  1. go canucks!
    hey Anya, call me or cathy if you want to talk about your situation. or call your mom, either way, don't just feel bad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry about the housing. I know you were going to switch places but I guess it wasn't supposed to happen twice? In any case, I hope you find something great and soon and also, that they can fix your camera quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear you feel a little unsettled and unwelcome. I took me a while to find a steady place I knew I could stay as well. I hope things have improved! Sorry to hear about the birds... maybe play them some music to help them relax and lay eggs :)

    ReplyDelete