Saturday, June 2, 2012

The Diamond Jubilee!

Hello all,

It has been a bit more than a week since I posted because I have been quite busy getting settled into Cambridge, but here's what's been happening.

I took a train on Sunday from London to Cambridge and arrived in the afternoon. I moved my stuff into the youth hostel I was staying in temporarily and spent the rest of the day exploring City Center.

On Monday morning, I met Dr. Luisi and the rest of the lab. I attended a research talk and discussed my project in more detail with Dr. Luisi and the PhD student I am working with in the lab. Then they let me start tinkering away with things in the lab straight away. But quite amazingly, at 3:30 everyone took a break and went to have tea together outside. It was "the last day of summer"--the last day of beautiful 75 degrees and sunshine-- and everyone wanted to soak it in. Someone suggested that we should all go punting on Wednesday, but unfortunately this was cancelled later because the weather was terrible.

My first day was incredible. I really did feel like I was at the University of Cambridge. The equipment was not necessarily the newest or best, but the quality of the experiments and projects was excellent.

On Wednesday after work we all went out to the pub (since the punting outing was cancelled). It was great to get to know the lab members outside of the work place. They were all really funny and surprisingly laid back. I also ordered my first drink and we cheered to that.

Yesterday I moved into my permanent accommodation for my stay in Cambridge. It is an off-site house part of Clare Hall college. I have my own room to myself and it is very nice. It is quite far to walk from City Center and the lab so I need to get a bike soon.

Today I unpacked all of my things and went to dinner at Dr. Luisi's house. He invited me earlier in the week and it was amazing to get to know him on a more personal basis. He made so much food! And it was great to have a home-cooked meal.

Tomorrow and Monday I am planning on going to London. It is the Diamond Jubilee weekend marking the Queen's 60th year of reign. There are tons of festivities going on all around England and Monday and Tuesday are holidays (although I will be going into the lab on Tuesday). Monday is also my birthday so I'm hoping with the Diamond Jubilee, it should be special.

I haven't taken much pictures in Cambridge yet unfortunately, but I'll be here for a while, so more will come! The campus is beautiful and I still cannot believe I am actually here.

 
King's College Chapel

                                           Our Lady & The English Martyrs Catholic Church

2 comments:

  1. excellent! a diamond jubilee birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. NIsha, that's crazy that they are throwing a Diamond Jubilee for your birthday :) Good job on getting the timing just so. And I love your description of really *feeling* it that you are @ Cambridge.

    ReplyDelete