Sunday, June 10, 2012

Rain, rain go away

Hello all,

In the past week I have seen more rain and cloudiness than I have ever seen back home. I am crossing my fingers that July and August may be better.

Aside from the weather, things have been good. I spent last weekend in London for the Diamond Jubilee, along with thousands of others from all over the UK. There were so many people that they closed many of the festivities after an hour or so. Unfortunately for this reason I didn't get to see the Royal River Pageant, but I did get to see a bit of the concert at Buckingham Palace from the screens along the walk to the Palace. I also went to the Madame Tussauds wax museum, went around London, and saw the fireworks from Buckingham Palace.



The weather was terrible over the weekend (very cold and rainy) so I came back on Monday night with a really bad cold. I stayed home on Tuesday, but by Wednesday I was better and went back to the lab. The rest of the week, I got more involved in my project. I was doing some cloning to get the correct construct of a protein we want to purify and crystallize. This coming week, I will be starting protein purification and hopefully setting up trays for crystallization. The PhD student I was working with is going on vacation, so I will be working with Dr. Luisi directly for the next two weeks. I am a little nervous, but I think it will be a great opportunity to learn from him.

This weekend I spent time going around Cambridge. I took a bus tour around the city and saw many of the historic colleges. I also finally bought a bike! It is so much easier to get around now and it even has a little basket, convenient for carrying groceries.





I'm praying for a better week of weather, but we'll see. I'm excited for my experiments in the lab and I hope everything works!

Nisha

2 comments:

  1. lovely bike! best of luck with the English weather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laughing @ you and Mr. Waxworks there. That's great that you get some time to work with your PI more closely. And of course, A+ on the new wheels!

    ReplyDelete