Thursday, June 7, 2012

Heidelberg my new home!

Hi Everyone!

I arrived in Heidelberg, Germany last Saturday!  Sorry this is my first post but I have been having trouble with internet connection. Finally, this has been resolved. So first, the town is absolutely beautiful. Saturday night there was a giant "fireworks" display at the Heidelberg castle...definitely better than most 4th of July celebrations!
Heidelberg Castle Illuminations

(Sadly, these are not my photos as I did not yet have my camera but the show looked just like this when viewed from the castle)

I began work in the lab this past Monday. I have been preparing starting materials for transition metal catalysis...nothing too new but a few of the techniques are slightly modified from the American way. Also, I find it odd that nobody seems to wear gloves in the lab..dont worry, I still do though. My pH student mentor is extremely helpful and speaks decent English. I work with another undergraduate student, who speaks minimal English, so I can often practice my German with him (sometimes this leads to confusion). There is a quaint bakery on the way to work where I can pick up cheap pastries and espresso...very European. Everyone here eats at the Mensa, which is basically a cafeteria. The only problem so far is that all of my coworkers in the lab speak extremely fast German during the coffee breaks so I have difficulty understanding. Hopefully my German will improve quickly!

Today is a holiday in Heidelberg, so stores are closed and everyone takes the day off from work. I spent the day exploring the town, particularly the AltStadt (Old Town), on bicycle along the Neckar River. Luckily, Heidelberg is pretty small so I can literally bike around the entire city. I will be in great shape by the end of this summer!

This weekend I am heading to Berlin to visit a friend staying in a hostel. I will upload Heidelberg and hopefully Berlin photos when I get back on Sunday!

Bis bald,

Kristen C

3 comments:

  1. yay! glad your first week went well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ach, ein Schade dass ich nicht in Berlin dieses Wochenende bin aber ich hoffe, dass du die Stadt sehr schön findest und vielleicht können wir später treffen :)

    ReplyDelete