Monday, June 11, 2012

Life in the capital, a brown lemur, a cryptic tree gecko, a sifaka (a type of lemur), a really small frog, and my locker (my life)






Dear All,
Everything has been going really well in Madagascar.  I've been doing lots of crazy things that I've never even imagined that I would ever do.  Today I, along with two technicians, tracked lemurs in the rainforest.  After they decided that I was responsible, they ended up leaving me with two sleeping lemurs and told me that I should wait until they wake up (when they defecate) and collect it (lemur feces is necessary for my project).  After they defecate you have to then find it, which can be really hard, especially when they are high up.  Last week I spent most of my time in Ambotolahy, a small village near the Centre, where we are surveying the villagers.  The villagers have quickly taken on to liking us, particularly the children.

Life here has consisted mostly of research.  We generally wake up at about 6am and work until 4 or 4:30.  We have time to shower and relax when we get home then dinner comes at 6:30.  Surprisingly it gets dark here at around 5:45pm, which means after dinner we usually just hang out and read.  

Internet here is pretty terrible; we use satelite internet, which means it works about 30% of the time and is really slow.

The people working with me are really awesome and are extremely fun.  I'm working closely with two Emory graduate students and also 6 Malagasy employees from nearby towns.

Enjoy the photos above!!

Ian



2 comments:

  1. Thanks for overcoming the internet struggles, Ian. these photos and updates are great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ian, great photos, and glad to hear you are getting settled in.. Gecko with flat tail: is that the kind that jumps off and glides? Tiny little frog is awesome, which reminded me of this book http://academic.evergreen.edu/h/heyingh/antipode.htm. The author, like you, spent time in Madagascar.

    ReplyDelete