Thursday, April 22, 2010

From the dirrty South to the dirrty North (or...Aberdeen)

That's right folks! I am going to Aberdeen! I really can't wait to go. I have been abroad many times in my day, but often I go with my Dad (who knows German, and claimed once to know Italian while we were in Italy, but I know now he was fibbing!) and the rest of my family (My older brother knows German and a bit of Swahili). BUT NOW I AM GOING ALONE! World, are you ready for Austin in his pure, unadulterated form? Well have to see.

I do have some initial travel woes. I emailed some folks at the University of Aberdeen and they gave me the rates for one of the dorms I could stay at. Let me put it this way: not happenin'. 66 FREAKING USD per night! HOLY SCOTCH WHISKEY! Let's just say I will be exploring other housing options, which will be an absolute joy. I am going to book a week in a hostel right when I get there, and then search throughout the city for a place. We'll see how it goes. To be perfectly honest, I LOVE breaking my comfort zone. In fact, when looking for a lab earlier this summer, I talked to fellow IRES participant about possibly working in a lab in Dhaka, Bangladesh. That participant, Nabiha, told me SHE felt unsafe in that city (she is from Bangladesh sorta), and strongly recommended that I not go, but boy did I want to! It's probably for the best (knowing me) that I am going to a 'safe' EU country. But this hiccup with housing only makes me more adventurous! AND ADVENTURE IS TO BE HAD!

I can't wait to meet Dr. Jaspars. Over email, everyone seems so friendly! And although I read all of their emails with an American accent sounding in my head, sometimes I treat myself and read their emails out-loud in a Scottish accent (adding little giggles and hearty laughs here and there. WHAT FUN!).

But of course, I really can't wait to learn from Dr. Jaspars. Drug discovery, what he does in his lab, is something I am considering eventually doing as a career. It seems like an incredibly interesting and rewarding process. I can't wait to step into lab on my first day and just marvel at the eloquence of the science going on around me. And being able to apply what I learn in a foreign country to my research at Emory... WOAH! How COOL IS THAT! WORLD COLLABORATION HI-YA!

It's going to be a great trip. For fun, spur-of-the-moment updates about my trip, follow me on twitter! http://twitter.com/acauz

Oh PS!!! Back in high school I was really into photography. So, for instance, that picture on my twitter I took while I was in Africa, so expect more like them on this blog!

3 comments:

  1. Oh and my twitter is uhhh let's just say... not academic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha. yes, let's save dhaka for some other time in the future. but the summer is going to be awesome!!!!

    ReplyDelete