Thursday, April 22, 2010

In with the new

The 2010 section of the IRES blog is inevitably going to be out of control. We have people going to 4 of the 7 continents, there's bound to be quite a mix of experiences and cultures and whatnot on this blog. I'm headed to Manchester, the hailing ground of the Rolling Stones, to my surprise. I'm leaving in a month from today and staying for almost three months. I'd like to set up a base in Manchester and adapt to and understand the surroundings in a fuller way than I'm used to. For that reason, I want to limit my weekend trips to Amsterdam, Dublin, and either Germany or Switzerland. Also France. This is almost the hardest part of this entire endeavor.

I had planned on meeting up with my mentor after I flew in and found my hostel, but he simply said the lab was going to pick me up at the airport. A friendly gesture that I forgotten even existed, and one I hope to extend to my friends here in Atlanta next year. It's something that never occurred to me and I find its obviousness dumbfounding. Of course I would want to pick up my friend from the airport.

I'll be working on characterizing genetic variants of the cellular sodium ion channel and observing drosophila fruit fly dissections and intra/extracellular recordings.


Old Trafford football stadium at night

1 comment: