Friday, April 23, 2010

Y chromosomes and sports cars

When I told one of my professors that I was going to be spending the summer in the lab of Dr. Robin Lovell-Badge, he gave me a surprised look and said, “do you know who he is??!?” With a big grin on my face, I answered, that yes, I do know who he is, and yes, I do know that he is, and that he is kind of a big deal, at least when it comes to sex determination within developmental genetics. Dr. Robin Lovell-Badge is one of the leading researchers focusing on the SRY (sex determining region of the Y chromosome) gene and its molecular/genetic pathway. This research is shedding light on how the Y chromosome works to contribute towards ‘maleness.’ I can’t wait to get there and be part of a lab that has done such amazing research and has contributed so much towards genetics.
The science is pretty awesome… But did I mention the lab is in London? Details… I can’t wait to finish up finals (and MCAT) and finally to (hopefully!) fly to Europe and begin my adventures. I originally wanted to start at the lab that week, but they wanted me to start June 7th…. So…. I will be flying out the day after I take the MCAT on May 23rd to London, and then catching a connecting flight to Prague where I will slowly make my way back to London in time to start at lab on the 7th. I have a general itinerary for this adventure, but I figured I would be spontaneous for once in my life and go wherever the “wild winds of fortune” shall carry me.
Other random tidbits… Dr. Lovell-Badge drives a purple Lotus Elise (which is a ridiculous sports car), which in my mind is quite far from what the stereotypical scientist is rolling in… I like to joke that its no coincidence that one of the leading researchers in the world on the gene that codes for maleness is also driving around in a loud, fast and flashy sports car… I’m hoping to that ill be able to get a ride… Boys will be boys… :-D

No comments:

Post a Comment