Friday, April 23, 2010

Plans for a fantastic (and nonexistent) summer

It's hard to believe that in two weeks I'll be half way done with college, and in a little over three weeks I'll be touching down in Buenos Aires, Argentina for the summer of a lifetime!  Actually, I need to clarify that statement, because when I say summer, I really mean winter.  You can call me crazy, but it's true: I'm sacrificing my true summer experience by spending May-July in the Southern Hemisphere.  I've encountered a few perplexed looks when I've explained this decision to several of my peers.  But really now, let's examine the issue in a little more depth.  I'll be doing groundbreaking research with some of today's top scientists, living in one of the most culturally rich and diverse cities in one of the most geographically diverse countries in the world, visiting waterfalls, deserts, and glaciers on weekends, dancing and playing tango music on my violin, and eating dulce de leche on a daily basis.  And to top it all off, the tab will be picked up by my good buddy Howard Hughes.  Still scoffing at my decision to skip out on sweltering heat and humidity in favor of a moderate Buenos Aires winter climate?  Right, I didn't think so.

Now, for a bit of background information.  I'm a Biology and Music double major from the great state of Oregon (that's or-uh-gun, NOT or-ee-gone), and my life basically revolves around science and violin.  I absolutely love research, and I'm planning to enter a combined MD/PhD program after graduating from Emory College.  I work in a neuroscience/pharmacology laboratory at Emory, and this summer I'll be working in a Howard Hughes Medical Institute laboratory studying the molecular physiology of the auditory system - a perfect match for my combined interests in molecular biology and music.  I already know that this will be one of the greatest experiences of my life, and I'm just counting down the days until I head south on May 15th! 
  

1 comment:

  1. good job on using a different font color, like moi. HAVE FUN in BA!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete