Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Fourth of July and Olympic Torch Relay

Hello,

This past week hasn't been too exciting, except that I did get some awesome data in the lab. My crystals diffracted really well at the synchrotron x-ray beam line and my professor was able to collect two data sets! We are hoping to analyze and process the data in the next few days as well as make some more crystals, so we can collect more data.

Outside of the lab, I haven't been doing too much. For the Fourth of July, I went to a restaurant called Wagamama with the new American student in my lab and a few other students in her program. The food and wine at the restaurant was really good. Afterwards, we went to a cafe and had the most delicious desserts-- I ordered a tiramisu.

On Saturday, the Olympic Torch made its way to Cambridge. The Torch travels around the UK for 70 days ahead of the London 2012 Olympics and covers 8,000 miles with 8,000 runners. There was just 20 more days to go until the the Opening Ceremony. On Saturday, it finally came to Cambridge and was welcomed by a large cheering crowd. The event took place at the biggest park in Cambridge and there was music, food, and games. I met up with the other American student in my lab and then visited one of the famous pubs in Cambridge after to celebrate.

The stage on Parker's Piece

Can you see the torch above the crowd? 

Well, it was on the big screen in case you couldn't

The Cambridge "cauldron" being lit 


On Sunday, I watched the men's Wimbledon final and cheered on Andy Murray with the rest of Britain, hoping to see the first British man in over 70 years to win the title. Unfortunately it didn't go his way, but it was exciting anyway to be here to see a British man into the final.

Yesterday, there was a BBQ in our department to welcome some new students, primarily from Hong Kong. There was free food and drinks and it didn't rain so it was a true outdoor BBQ. I had a really good time and got to mingle with other people in the lab and the department. We also welcomed one of these students into our lab. He is an undergraduate student from the University of Hong Kong.

I'm not really sure about my plans for the weekend yet. I'll be really busy in the lab for the next few days, but hopefully I'll be able to make a trip somewhere nearby this weekend.

Nisha

2 comments:

  1. Yay, NIsha, good crystals! And so great that you are having some good weather for outdoorsy stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful crystals and no rain for the BBQ? pretty great week i'd say :-)

    ReplyDelete