Monday, July 16, 2012

Last days in Deutschland

All is going well here in Germany. The last two weeks there was a workshop for our collaborators in Cote d'Ivoire and so there were lots of lectures on lab techniques and projects going on at RKI, but sadly they were mostly in French...
I sat in on a few to watch and learned that lab words are pretty much in the same in German, French and English, so that is convenient. I feel like my knowledge about lab work has increased exponentially and my ability to make independent and educated decisions about how to carry out research becomes better every day. My project is done for the moment, so I have been working on other projects just to learn more skills and have a better understanding of all the things one can do with molecular biology. It's really cool to learn what the others are doing and I am so glad I have had the chance to work with this amazing group of people.

Last weekend I was in Lübben, which is in the Spreewald and I camped there with an old family friend who lives in Dresden. It was so relaxing to escape the hussle and bussle of Berlin and see some greenery for a bit. We grilled over the fire, hiked 16km around the lake and canoed for a bit. It was a really nice break. But now that I'm back in Berlin and only have 2 weeks left, I have to make the most of it!
Tonight a friend of mine from lab and I went to beach bar which is Jamaican themed and experienced the reggae scene. It was so funny to just stumble across this cultural island in the middle of Berlin.

I haven't been taking enough pictures, but I will get better about that! I hope everyone else is having an awesome time!

bis gleich!
Summer in Germany..at least I don't have to worry about tan lines

Spreewald

Picking some mushrooms for dinner!

Our fabulous set up
Kristen

2 comments:

  1. Sigh. Everyone's getting misty!! And so cool you went foraging for dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great reflection about lab languages and all you've learned! i might have to use that quote in advertisements for the IRES program!

    ReplyDelete