Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Game, Set, Match

Hello,

It was a pretty quiet past week in the lab. Most of the lab members were away on holiday or at a conference, but I continued work on some cloning. This week was also the first week of the tennis championships at Wimbledon, so I spent most of my time outside of the lab watching the matches. Early in the week I discovered that a select few tickets are sold online the day before and I was able to snag Centre Court tickets on Friday morning for Saturday's play. I took the train really early on Saturday morning to get to Wimbledon (southwest London). The grounds opened at 10:30 and I was able to roam around, watch some players practice on the practice courts, get some autographs near the competitor's entrance, and eat some famous "strawberries and cream" before the first match on Centre Court began at 1:00 pm. My seats weren't great or anything, but for 76 pounds, approximately $120, I saw 3 really good matches. Play on Saturday went until 11 pm, the latest that they allow play to continue, and so it was a good 10 hours of tennis. Luckily there was no rain on Saturday and it was a beautiful day for tennis. I saw some famous players play like Serena Williams, Andy Roddick, and Andy Murray. All in all, it was an amazing day and I am really glad I had the opportunity to go.

My favorite sporting event!

The grounds (Centre Court in the far back)

Outside Centre Court

The draw

Strawberries and cream (mmm, delicious)

Henman Hill (or Murry Mount)

Centre Court!

David Ferrer vs. Andy Murray on Centre Court

On Sunday, I attended a lab party. We share lab space and equipment with another group in Biochemistry, and the professor of that group hosted a party at his home in a town called Shepreth, about 7 miles from Cambridge. I cycled there with my professor and his family, which took about an hour, but it was good exercise. When we arrived, I was really surprised. The home was huge and lakeside (I found out later that they owned the lake). The whole property was gorgeous and it felt very old-English, Jane-Austen like. I took a trip around the lake, enjoyed some good food, got to know a lot of people in my lab better, and then cycled back in the evening. It was a great weekend.




This week, the PhD student I was working with has come back from her holiday and conference and I will start working with her again. We have a new summer student in our lab from Wisconsin and we all went out to the pub yesterday after work to welcome her. Talking to her has made me realize that I have been here for a month already. I can't believe it. Time really does fly.

Nisha

2 comments:

  1. Yay, you got your tennis on! I know you were really looking forward to that.

    I agree that taking a turn around the lake was the right thing to do... Mr. Darcy might have emerged at any moment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH MY GOODNESS! you got to go to WIMBLEDON!!! What a dream. I bet the tennis and strawberries were fantastic. I'm SO jealous.
    so great to see some beautiful pictures with no rain! :-)

    ReplyDelete